Friday, December 3, 2010

A Letter to the 30 year old me

Every week we (me and the lady) do a free write. We rotate weeks when it comes to choosing the topic and one is due at the end of every week. It kind of forces us to take a break from the chaos and be creative. This week, we are suppose to write to ourselves ten years in advance. I thought it was interesting so I decided to post it on here.....


Dear Future,

I'm glad your still alive!

I wish you could write back and tell me what your life was like. I honestly wouldn't mind knowing how these struggles work out for me. Will I still feel these same emotions that I feel now? Do I ever find out what "making it" consists of? Do dreams come true? Are you happy? I would tell you things about me, but I am sure you would know everything that I would say. I wonder about my friends, did we stay close? Does your mind still drift as often as mine does now? Are you living up to your own expectations? Did you ever learn to care about yourself as much as you care about others? When was the last time you've cried?

I have all these questions but I also have some advice for you. Keep going, don't be satisfied with whatever success has come to you. Be sure to help those with aspirations as deep as yours that don't quite have the opportunities, just as you were helped. Reach out to someone who you haven't spoken with in a matter of years and see what they're up to. Make sure you stay close with your family and friends and tell them you love them often. And keep laughing and smiling. Keep living. Greatness has no limit.

Also make sure your kids, if you've had any yet, know who their father is and that his heart will not allow them to grow up without a father.

I think it's funny, how we often want to know so much about our future and how we look back on our past and laugh at serious things.

I would love to sit down and just exchange a few words with you, light conversation over peanut butter cookies and Kool Aid.

If you ever find the time to write back, I'm sure some 20 year old would love to hear what you'd have to say.

I can't wait to meet you!

Derrick, the 20 year old with aspirations of "making it" (whatever that means)


Yall know the motto


No days off!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment